Student Crisis Resource Supports

Social Housing Rental Program

Non-Profit Housing Providers that provide the Social Housing Program in buildings that Manitoba Housing owns and also in buildings that are owned by the non-profit group.

See attached list of social housing.

Private companies, such as Devereaux Developers, have private subsidies through the city for a couple units. Unfortunately, they don’t advertise this information and you have to do your own digging to see who is part of the program and if they have available suites.

Manitoba Housing – Shelter   

Visit the website to fill out an application, or by calling 204-945-4663 or 1-800-661-4663 to have an application mailed directly to you. You can also pick up a copy of the application form at any Manitoba Housing office.

  • Adequate, affordable, and suitable access to shelter for low-income households in core housing need.
  • A subsidy that is the difference between the market rent for unit and the rent the tenant pays. The rent a tenant pays is based on a percentage of total gross household income.  This is commonly referred to as Rent-Geared-To-Income (RGI).
  • A rent based on a percentage of income that does not exceed the affordability benchmark set by CMHC.
  • Supports to achieve a successful tenancy and transition to alternate housing options when appropriate.

Student Housing

The Students’ Association wants to aid RRC students find accommodations close to their campus of choice. There are a number of online search options available for students looking for places to live around Winnipeg.

Here are a few sites to help assist in your search for accommodations.


Millennium Library – Community Crisis/Case Workers

Provides information on shelter, housing, social assistance, employment counselling, mental health programs, and services, health care information and much more.

251 Donald St
Winnipeg MB, R3C 3P5

Main Street Project – Social Assistance, Case Workers, Emergency Shelter

Main Street Project provides a safe place of respite, shelter and support, with dignity and without judgment to individuals in our community experiencing homelessness and addiction.

Emergency Shelter & Drop In

  • The Emergency Shelter at 637 Main Street is open during the day from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. for drop-in services such as access to soup, coffee, showers, phone, harm reduction supplies, and access to caseworkers. Overnight shelter is provided free of charge, on a first-come first-served basis.

If you need access to emergency shelter, please contact us:

637 Main Street


Drop-in hours – 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

Overnight sleep service hours – 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 a.m.

Mainstay Transitional Services

  • Mainstay Residence is a supported transitional living environment that provides residents with a safe place to live while they work to make positive changes in their lives.
  • Community members often move on to safe accommodations, long-term supported housing, substance abuse treatment programs or other appropriate accommodations. Transition workers often accompany clients into the community to support and teach them how to achieve daily living needs including:
    • Exploring future accommodations
    • Medication administration and home care supports
    • Resources to help manage addictions or illness
    • Working within a circle of supports to address any and all issues
    • Goal identification
    • Case coordination and planning
    • Capacity building through in-house and external experiences
  • Mainstay is staffed 24/7 and provides assistance, continuity and a sense of security to its up to 34 community members in 28 rooms.
  • Application can be found here:


Harvest Manitoba – Food

Step 1. Contact the Food Support Assistance Line

Please have your Manitoba Health card ready. The Harvest Crew will review your needs and arrange for your food hamper to be distributed to a location near you for pick up. Harvest food banks are located in communities across Manitoba.

In Winnipeg:

  • 204-982-3671 – New to Harvest
  • 204-982-3660 – Returning Clients/

Outside Winnipeg:

  • 1-800-970-5559 /

Call Centre Hours:

  • Monday to Friday: 9:15 am to 3:15 pm
  • Saturday: 9:15 am to 12:15 pm


Step 2. Attend Your Appointment

Bring your Manitoba Health Card to your local food bank, and bags or boxes to carry your food hamper.


RaY (Resource Assistance for Youth) – Social Assistance up to 29 years of age

RaY provides free resources and programs for anyone 29 and under who needs assistance.

Get Help Now

  • 204 783 5617
  • We’re here Monday to Friday 9am-5pm to chat.

Drop In (as of January 2022)

  • “Right now, drop-in is happening outside in our parking lot at 125 Sherbrook Street. Food is handed out take-out style and staff will chat with you outside. We may be able to let limited people in to warm up for a few minutes depending on the day. We have masks and hand sanitizer available. We hope to have our regular drop-in up and running again someday soon!”

Basic Needs (as of January 2022)

  • “Right now, we are not able to offer showers or laundry services. Basic Needs items are available through our outdoor drop-in in the parking lot at 125 Sherbrook Street, Monday – Friday, 1 – 3 pm. We hope to have showers and laundry up and running again someday soon!”

Women’s Shelters

  • Find a Shelter – Manitoba Association of Women’s Shelters

  • About Shelters – ShelterSafe

Winnipeg shelters:

  • Ikwe-Widdjiitiwin
    • Phone Crisis # 1-877-977-0007
    • Admin # 204-987-2780
  • Willow Place
    • Phone Crisis # 1-877-977-0007
    • Admin # 204-615-0313

Downtown Community Safety Partnership (DCSP) – Social Assistance

  • DCSP services and responses include the provision of information, assistance and referrals, social needs assessments, advanced first aid, outreach, and safe/courtesy walks.
  • The DCSP can assist with non-emergency, non-violent community safety and wellness concerns, that may include individuals that pose a risk to themselves through non-threatening and non-escalating behaviours, including:
    • Health and Wellness needs:
      • Unsheltered person(s) requiring connections to shelter, food, resources
    • If you are aware of a non-violent situation that requires DCSP support, please dial 211 to connect with a DCSP team or community/social resource to help you.

EIA (Employment and Income Assistance) – $$

  • If you need to apply for EIA benefits, you may start your application process using the EIA Online Application Portal at
  • If you do not have access to the online application, please call 204-948-4000 (in Winnipeg) or 1-855-944-8111 (Rural and Northern offices).


  • You must live in Manitoba and be in financial need.
  • You may be eligible for assistance if the total cost of your or your family’s monthly basic needs and housing costs are more than your total financial resources. Your financial resources are based on your income and assets. Some of your income and assets may not affect your eligibility.
  • For more information on EIA and Rent Assist eligibility and benefits that you may receive, please look at the EIA brochure that best fits your household situation.

The amount of your or your family’s basic needs are based on:

  • the number of people in your family, their ages and relationships to each other
  • the EIA basic allowance rate for your family size
  • the cost of some of your ongoing health needs

For information on how to apply for EIA or Rent Assist or to set up a Pre-Intake Orientation, make an intake appointment, or find the EIA office that you should go to, please call 204-948-4000 if you are in Winnipeg or 1-855-944-8111 (toll free) if you are outside of Winnipeg.

Rent Assist – $$

  1. Manitobans receiving EIA will receive Rent Assist if they have housing costs. Rent Assist will be included with monthly EIA payments.
  2. Rent Assist can also help with the cost of rent for low-income Manitobans who are renting or paying room and board in unsubsidized housing.

To apply for non-EIA Rent Assist, you can download an application form, or call Provincial Services at 204-948-7368 in Winnipeg; 1-877-587-6224 toll free; or TTY 204-948-3698 to have an application form mailed to you.

If you apply for EIA benefits, your eligibility for Rent Assist will also be assessed.  To apply for EIA, call 204-948-4000 in Winnipeg; or 1-800-855-0511 (Manitoba Relay Service).


Manitobans not receiving EIA benefits may apply for Rent Assist if they:

  • pay rent or room and board for unsubsidized housing
  • have a net annual income of less than $24,640 for a single person, or $28,040 for a single person 55 years of age or older, or a person who qualifies for the Disability Tax Credit or receive Canada Pension Plan Disability benefits, $31,440 for two people, $39,680 for three or four people and $49,440 for five or more people
  • have dependent children in your home and have a net annual income of less than $39,680 for two to four people, or $49,440 for five or more people
  • are a Canadian citizen, or a permanent resident of Canada.

Manitobans may not apply for non-EIA Rent Assist if:

  • they rent their home from Manitoba Housing
  • they, or the unit they live in, gets any other kind of housing benefit or subsidy
  • they live on a First Nations reserve
  • they live in a nursing home, hospital or residential care facility
  • they live in student housing