What your SA is doing for you during this Pandemic when classes are online’
The Students’ Association (SA) has been working hard over the summer preparing for the fall term and providing support and assistance for students. Unfortunately, the SA has had to make some changes and adjust some of our on-campus operations during this unprecedented Pandemic. However, we remain open and are working hard to find new ways to support, connect and provide needed assistance to students virtually.
Here are some highlights of what the Students’ Association has been working on over the summer:
• Student advocacy support; nationally and provincially
• Student health, dental and benefits support
• Student appeal and concern support
• Student newspaper (Projector) operations providing articles and information
• Student board meetings
• Return to campus space protocols
• International student support and survey
• Meetings with Red River College Health and Safety
• Diversity and Inclusion supports – collaborating with departments and committees
• Executive planning
• Policy development
• Online events
• Social media engagement
• SA space renovations, preparation for students return
Unfortunately, the SA had to shut down our on-campus stores during the summer and will look to consider opening our stores (The Ox-NDC, The Mercantile-EDC, STTC Coffee Shop-NDC) when more students return to campus. We are working with RRC to ensure there are fresh food options available for students and staff for the Fall term at the Notre Dame Campus for those retuning to in-class activities. Even though most students are not on campus and have courses online, the Students’ Association continues to provide
many services and supports and will work hard to assist students. Some fall term SA services include:
• Virtual events
o Health and Wellness
o “How to” style tutorials
o Themed weeks around holiday times
o Partnered events and initiative with Red River College departments (Student Employment Services,
School of Indigenous Education, Centre for International Education and Global Partnership, Sustainability,
Healthy Minds Healthy College Steering Committee)
o Movie days/nights
o Trivia days/nights
o …and more
• Virtual contests, swag and prize draws
• Winnipeg Transit Bus Pass Peggo card mail out
• Limited on campus support at Notre Dame Campus and Exchange District Campus offices
• Up-to-date SA information on our website www.rrcsa.ca
• ‘New’ Live Chat system on our website for questions and inquiries
• Projector information and news articles
• Student appeal support
• Student Club support (create new ones and join existing ones)
• Students’ Association Representative Meetings (virtual, held once a month, first one is September 8th)
• Scholarships through the SA
• Students’ Association Board Elections (online, nomination packages available September 4)
• RRC and SA Committee work
• SA spaces supporting on-campus student studies
For assistance please visit our SA website and send us your questions on our new ‘LIVE CHAT” feature www.rrcsa.ca.
Your Students’ Association
Reaction to Fall 2020 Online Delivery Announcement
RRC Students’ Association
Reaction to Fall 2020 Online Delivery Announcement
Winnipeg, MB – On May 20th, Red River College announced its plans to continue remote delivery of all possible programs and services for the 2020 Fall Term. The decision was made following public health directives to ensure the health and safety of staff and students.
Similar decisions have been made by post-secondary institutions across Canada, and the College is also planning for an early return of the students in limited numbers in case the public health directives change.
Red River College Students’ Association (RRCSA) fully supports the College’s decision to protect the health and safety of staff and students and recognizes that many students will be affected by this change. RRCSA is working alongside the College to find ways to address this and meet student needs and industry requirements.
RRC students are adaptable and resilient, and we are optimistic that we will come out of this stronger. This pandemic has shown us new ways to stay connected while we work and learn from home. Many students already spend time online, and distance learning will be an addition to that for the next while. However, we do look forward to the time when students and staff can be back on campus and back in the classroom where we can once again be the vibrant in-person community we know and love.
RRCSA’s goal is to work together to ensure a positive and strong outcome for new and returning students this fall. Education will play a key role in recovering the economy as we emerge from COVID-19 and supporting RRC students through this transition is just the first step.
For media enquiries, please contact:
ELECTION RESULTS 2020/2021
President: Yash Chopra
VP Academic: Avery Halldorson
VP Internal: Jagjot Singh
VP External: Melissa Ghidoni
SA Board: Mark Montour
Your Students’ Association is here for you.
The SA exists for its members, so if you have any concerns, problems or suggestions, please visit our Notre Dame Campus office in CM20 or call us at 632-2375 or The Roblin Centre (Exchange District Campus) office, P110 call us at 949-8475.
On June 10, 1974, the Students’ Association was incorporated by an act of the Manitoba Legislature making it an independent legal and business entity.
The Students’ Association acts primarily as an advocate for student concerns. We develop spaces such as the Cave Lounge, Workshop, Coffee Shop in STTC,The Spectrum and many others.
Throughout the school year, we organize events and activities ANY student can participate in and most of them completely free. Some jammed packed weeks to keep an eye out for are Disorientation Week and Melt Down Week!