Students have voted to ACCEPT the U-Pass for Red River College
About the U-Pass:
1. Approved by a majority (50%+1) vote by the student body through Referendum meeting the voting criteria as set by the Students’ Association (SA) Bylaws
- a. A minimum 20% of the total eligible Members must vote for the results of the referendum to be deemed valid (Bylaw 12 section 17.00)
2. Students will be charged $130-$135.50 per school term ($260-$275 per school year) on their Tuition
- “School term” defined as a regular four month academic terms. For programs that have terms longer than four months but less than 8 months, the student will be charged for the full eight months (two terms) and the bus pass will be active for the full eight months regardless of when the term ends.
3. Tentatively implementation is September 2017….based on a signed agreement with Transit and City of Winnipeg
4. Students will be provided a full student bus pass during the terms (Sept-Apr) while a student at Red River College
Students WILL be charged with their tuition AND receive a U-Pass if they meet these criteria:
1. Be a RRCSA member
2. Be attending classes at a Red River College campus within the Winnipeg city limits
3. Be a domestic student or International student
4. Be in an applicable program
5. Meet the full-time criteria:
- a. Registered for courses in programs running more than 6 months
- b. Registered for 9 Credit hours or more per term with the following exceptions who will also be included;
i. Nursing students in a minimum of 7 credit hours running less than 6 months;
ii. All pre-employment trades programs running 5 months;
iii. Students attending courses for English at the Union Station (Via Rail Train Station)
o registered in 4 courses or more; or
o registered in courses less than 4 months and have a study plan to continue with RRC
6. Be residing in Canada
7. Not be enrolled in ‘Auditing Courses
Students will NOT be charged or may opt-out* of the U-Pass if they fall into one of these criteria:
1. Are disabled where Winnipeg Transit cannot accommodate individual to ride the bus
2. Students attending a campus outside the city of Winnipeg will not be charged for the U-Pass with their tuition and will not automatically receive the U-Pass, but may opt in.
3. Apprentice students will not be charged for the U-Pass with their tuition and will not automatically receive the U-Pass, but may opt in.
4. Joint Education Programs where they receive a U-Pass from another PSE institution, documentation must be provided.
If a student meets the above opt-out* criteria, they may request to opt-out in writing to the SA, within 30 days from start date of program by providing documentation.
Students who do not meet the eligibility requirements, attend a campus outside the city of Winnipeg, or are in an apprentice program may choose to OPT-IN to receive a U-Pass if they:
1. Are an RRCSA member
2. Request and the SA receives their form in writing within 30 days from start date of program
3. Are attending classes at a Red River College campus within the city of Winnipeg
4. Are a domestic student or International student
5. In an applicable program
6. Residing in Canada
7. Not enrolled in ‘Auditing Courses’